Sunday, December 27, 2009

The Wisdom of Being Present

We value the experience of being fully present. We may experience it alone in a reflective moment, in the intimacy of lovemaking or conversation, or in a large gathering such as a religious service, a concert, a sports event, or a movie. The ability to be present, and to have presence, is one of the 7 Dimensions of Wisdom.

I play the flute in church services. On my way to church today, I blew on the head of my flute to warm up my lips. As I did this, I thought about the difference in the sound of the flute when I am present. At such times, it is almost as if I can hear and feel the individual sound waves of each note flowing around and embracing me, as opposed to hearing the note as a single sound in the distance. In addition to the vibrations being granular, they also seem to be directly connected to parts of my brain and nervous system that tap into emotions and meanings. The result is that even a single note feels significant. Therefore, when playing a song that the congregation, choir and musicians all know and love, we are able to create such a powerful sense of presence; that it is almost as if time stops.

What I have learned from music is that while I cannot exactly control the experience of being present, I can induce it by practice and discipline. With practice, my lips, ears, fingers and brain become tuned, usually after a few minutes. I have noticed that if I haven’t played the flute for a couple of days, it usually takes longer to get back to that place.

I have also experienced a similar pattern with physical exercise. With practice, I can get to a place where I am moving fluidly and am energized, rather than just being tired. In addition, during such time of positive exercise, creative ideas will occur to me. So, being present also connects us to the source of creativity. Creativity when developed and socialized becomes innovation, another of the 7 Dimensions of Wisdom.

To be present is to be fully alive, to be part of something wonderful, and to experience a sense of endless possibilities. We may experience it alone in a reflective moment, in the intimacy of lovemaking or conversation, or in a large gathering such as a religious service, a concert, a sports event, or a movie. The ability to be present, and to have presence, is one of the 7 Dimensions of Wisdom. Being present is also a skill that we can each continue to develop with attention and practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment